Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk U.S. imports

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m heading down to Hastings to look over a 2001 1150gs, its an import from the U.S. and I was wondering if there are any things I should be looking out for?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The only differences I can think of are that the headlight may not be aiming correctly and that they have some wierd emission control related fittings. It must be a really cheap price if you are going through all that trouble.

nzjb65
    Participant

Yeh, a good price, but I hadn’t thought about the emissions thing – I am guessing this will impact on power.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I now that these things are routinely removed. Not sure if they impact on power.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Speedo will be in mph. Don’t know if it’s the same on a GS, but on my 1100S, it was a very easy job to realign the headlight cutoff pattern for right or left hand

Dave Morris
    Participant

watch out for steering heading bearing being stuck in the straight ahead position from doing all those hard rough Interstate highways.

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Hello all

I'm new to this forum (the wife and I will be joining the register shortly) and new to BMW bikes.

I have just imported a 2000 R1100RT-P (ex-CHP) from California.

I was a little concerned that the VTNZ guy would knock it back on the headlight dipping the wrong way but it went straight through without a hitch! go figure!.

Tony, you mention it was easy to change this on your GS, how did you do it? Even though mine got through it would be good to sort it out.

Looking forward to meeting up with people once we join the register

Cheers
    Tracy

Stuart Burns
    Participant

It was a simple operation on an 1100S, the headlight shell rotated through 90 degrees so the cut off changed sides, don’t know if it’s the same on the GS, don’t think so, haven’t had cause to check it out over here. It was only relevant in the UK for trips to Europe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.