Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Tyre pressure monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When I bought the 650GS new in May, 2008, I was told the batteries in each wheel for the tyre pressure monitors should last about 10 years. Now, after less than 7 years, the front tyre pressure reading has started to fail intermittently. Presumably due to low battery voltage. It's annoying getting the warning coming up as if the pressure is too low. It gave me a bit of a surprise the first time it appeared.Unfortunately you can't just change the battery. You need to replace the whole unit, for somewhere in the region of $300 for each wheel. It's definitely a valuable 'peace of mind' feature when it works, but the cost just seems a little excessive if the units only last 7 years.Does anyone have any experience of expected lifetime and failure mode when the batteries arrive at the end of their useful life? Presumably there weren't many BMW bikes delivered with TPM earlier than 2008, and I haven't seen any threads discussing the topic on other forums.

Anonymous
    Inactive

2010 R1200GSA, 100,000km in 5 odd years, no major issues with the sensors. Occasionally the pressure reading would take a while to come up for a wheel (think 10-30km) but otherwise it's been fine. The units are supposed to charge from the movement of the wheel.I think replacement of the battery is possible, not supported by BMW of course, but possible it was talked about on AdvRider?If you're wanting to give it a crack... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920677

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like the job is doable, but not easy. Just getting the tyres off and back on and then rebalanced is not easy without the right tools. The YouTube video referenced in one of the posts is a good help, although I wonder how long the connection to the battery will last without being soldered in place. Especially with the vibrations they must experience mounted at the perimeter of a wheel rim.It seems that the batteries in my units have lasted somewhat longer than others are experiencing. $600 for replacing them every 5 years or so seems rather excessive. Until recently they worked reliably and well, and were always active within a few hundred metres of starting out.I hadn't heard that the units are supposed to recharge, and don't think CR2032 batteries are suitable for recharging. Also I can't see any mechanism that would allow them to recharge without some external magnet or circuit to provide a charge current.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems that the batteries in my units have lasted somewhat longer than others are experiencing. $600 for replacing them every 5 years or so seems rather excessive. Until recently they worked reliably and well, and were always active within a few hundred metres of starting out.

It's a bargain in BMW land.Excessive is completely replacing your suspension every time it's worn. So for me, that was 60k, or around 2 years. At $4800 +GST +fitting.  😮

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.