Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1150RT won’t start ideas please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I'm a new proud owner of ex police bike (since Friday) and stalled the bike while manouvering to park last night. It kicked back so that my feet let down into the gutter. O wait; legs too short, bike on its side. No visible damage, but it will not start. Turns over but sounds like left Cyl not firing? Or maybe it is? Is there anything vulnerable, i.e. Side stand switch that I should be looking for. Battery went flat after a few crank attempts so will charge up and try again today. Any ideas great fully accepted as its my daily ride replacing a dead Burgman- hence the clutch stutter that caused the problem in the first place.

Anonymous

Clearly it doesn't trust you any longer.You may both have to go to counselling.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've tried to be nice and cleaned the oil weeping out from the oil filler onto the coil and sprayed the wiring plug – now it idles for a min but stalls as soon as you turn the throttle. The Burgman would have accepted that, but then, she's not a princess like the BMW

Arne Rohde
    Participant

The side stand switch shouldn't affect starting. It cuts the engine if you put it in gear, but lets you start as long as it's in neutral.My 1100RT took a rest on its side a few times, but never had a problem starting again afterwards. Have you tried to see how long it will idle, and whether the symptoms disappear if it's allowed to warm up? Or if you open the throttle very gently?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your thoughts. It will not run long enough to warm up and stops as soon as I open the throttle so far. Have left it with a charger on before I try again. Tried with full throttle to clear it and then used no throttle and it started and idled for a min then stopped

Mark
    Participant

HITry disconecting the batttery as this may reset the computer also I think theres a way on how to reset your throttle with the computer but u will have to call this up on your home computer to find out how .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try turning on the ignition, twist throttle fully open two or three times then start. This may reset the throttle idling position.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your help everyone. Turns out the fault caused the stall and drop and not other way. Took the pump assembly out to change filter as overdue and found a tiny slit in the straight hose to filter. Looks like the u shaped hose had been changed but the straight two hoses left original. I got new hose from MotorMart but no u hose in stock so left it for next time and replaced all clamps with ss screw type. Did a full reset of computer  set the throttle, and all runs sweet.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

A mate had a 1150RT that the fuel pump packed up on the forgotten world highway. Transported back to Stratford  then I had the job of riding  thru to Hawera to get a new fuel pump from Repco same one that goes into Ford Falcons and Sierra . So keep that in mind if the pump packs up miles from a BMW workshop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.