Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Oil & Petrol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all

I have just imported a 2000 R1100RT-P.

The engine has been running fully synthetic 20w50 oil.

What are people using in their oilheads? The fully syn 20w50 (when you can find it) is pretty darn expensive 🙁

Also, what octane do these beasties run best on, 91 or 96??

Thanks
    Tracy

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Tracy,
    I've used the 98 Octane a couple of times, got it in my car as well. That does seem to make a performance difference. I am not fuzzy about the oil. I use the correct grade to top up what ever they've put in at the last service. I top up with the same stuff I use in the cars and that's castrol 15w40. Oil changes by the book , every 10000km. For me that's been roughly after 6 month. I am planning to keep my bike for a long time.

Cheers,
    Alex

Hans Claus
    Participant

Hi Tracey,

As for the oil ... I suggest given that it has to do the cooling plus the lubricating job best to stick with the best you can afford, like synthetic 20/50, also given the changes last around 10k, thats a long time for any air / oiled cooled motor

Petrol .... recommended is96 (no lower) I once put some 91 by mistake in my R1100 and it "pinked" very badly (this can be very hard on the engine) .... even on 96 when under load the engine can often pink .... I then changed to 98 (mobil or BP) in my R1100, then R1150 and now R1200 and although I don't believe that there is any performance advantage the engine definitely runs better it NEVER pinks

There has been screeds written on these two issuies ... my comments are based on my own experience over 150,000km on 5 x RT boxers

Stephen

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Man our petrol must really be shite 🙁

Reading on another discussion board, the Yanks all use 89 octane with no problems and suggest people don't waste the money on higher octane fuel.

So what the heck is ours made from... kero and cows urine???

Cheers
    Tracy

Arne Rohde
    Participant
    TracyPrier wrote:
    Reading on another discussion board, the Yanks all use 89 octane with no problems and suggest people don't waste the money on higher octane fuel.

So what the heck is ours made from... kero and cows urine???

You have to realize that different octane ratings are used in the US. Basically there are two ratings, MON (Motor Octane Number) and RON (Research Octane Number). US octane is an average of RON and MON, whereas NZ and most other countries use RON. US 89 octane corresponds approximately to 94 RON octane.

See the wikipedia entry for Octane Rating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating) for further information.
    David
    Participant

I have just done an analysis of my fuel consumption over the last 7500km and I get a little more km/$ when I use 98 octane fuel against 96 octane in the R1100RT! 😀

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Thanks for that Artig…you learn something every day and trust the yanks to be different to everyone else 😉

Also sounds like it's worth sticking with 98 too and getting better mileage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.