Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Headlight Alignment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My 2013 1200RT is awesome. I would have liked the LC, but I've already sold as many children as I can without my wife noticing.The one thing that irks me is that the low beam is far too high, and the high beam lights up pine trees.The adjuster knob is adjusted all the way down. It's been to my mechanic, he says all is well.I took it to the local testing station and they put it on their headlight Alignment thingy. They are happy.But in the dark I get at least half the oncoming cars flashing me. And when there are no oncoming cars and I try full beam, it's so high it doesn't light up the road.Any thoughts?

Becky Lambert
    Participant

Hi Daffy,I find my high beam works fine when I back off the throttle (a wee bit) just enough to keep the front wheel on the ground. Try it and see how you go!Tibsy 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

The RT is a dual low beam isn't it? That would likely explain part of it, you've got a lot of light that's concentrated.Also, have you pulled the bulbs and checked? Along with regular bulbs you can also get uprated ones, +50, +100 etc. (availability depends on the size, ie, H4 has more options than H7) but you can also expect a reduced life from the uprated bulbs.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

The RT is a dual low beam isn't it? That would likely explain part of it, you've got a lot of light that's concentrated.Also, have you pulled the bulbs and checked? Along with regular bulbs you can also get uprated ones, +50, +100 etc. (availability depends on the size, ie, H4 has more options than H7) but you can also expect a reduced life from the uprated bulbs.

Yes, dual low beam, and the one in the middle is the high beam.Pulling the lamps is like pulling wisdom teeth. It's a mission. Maybe I should check that someone hasn't inserted lamps from the Soyuz 11.

Anonymous
    Inactive

check the bulb is correctly oriented relative to the flat edge with tag on the mounting flange of it and properly seated to the mating face. I have managed to wedge the wire clamps back in with my lights pointing skyward. without pulling everything out, you need a midget, or someone with midget hands and optimum lighting to see what's going on. I even asked Experience BMW if the adjustment cable nipple may have come undone during their service.good luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

check the bulb is correctly oriented relative to the flat edge with tag on the mounting flange of it and properly seated to the mating face. I have managed to wedge the wire clamps back in with my lights pointing skyward. without pulling everything out, you need a midget, or someone with midget hands and optimum lighting to see what's going on. I even asked Experience BMW if the adjustment cable nipple may have come undone during their service.

I doubt this would be an issue, as there is no way he'd pass the headlight adjustment check if it was wrong... seems they're just bright  ;D

peter.trub
    Participant

Try your suspension, yes I am serious. At the testing station are you seated on the bike fully loaded when the headlight is tested? You may have the rear end set a bit low.Try eating more pies and sitting further forward

Anonymous
    Inactive

Samesame, Daffy, with my '13 R12RT.  Just seems these twin headlights are veryveryVERY bright, no matter where you aim them.  There are a number of forum comments along the lines of 'these are the best OEM motorcycle headlights…ever…'.  I'm heading into Motomart on Wed to have another go at headlight alignment, so will let you know how I get on.Until then, 'Check it out, two moons! https://vimeo.com/26407263

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Samesame, Daffy, with my '13 R12RT.  Just seems these twin headlights are veryveryVERY bright, no matter where you aim them.  There are a number of forum comments along the lines of 'these are the best OEM motorcycle headlights...ever...'.  I'm heading into Motomart on Wed to have another go at headlight alignment, so will let you know how I get on.Until then, 'Check it out, two moons! https://vimeo.com/26407263

I still quote that ad from time to time.Let me know how you get on. I am sick to death of the High beam spotting possums and getting flashed even on low beam.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi DaffyI think your headlight is fixed to the bike and the lens floats inside on gimbal. The gimbals move to allow aiming the light output. It has been known that the plastic gimbal ends come out of their socket.Perhaps you have this problem? The only way to check is to remove the access port and look in the back. You'll have to remove the light.Ralph

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Hi DaffyI think your headlight is fixed to the bike and the lens floats inside on gimbal. The gimbals move to allow aiming the light output. It has been known that the plastic gimbal ends come out of their socket.Perhaps you have this problem? The only way to check is to remove the access port and look in the back. You'll have to remove the light.Ralph

I think that gimbal thing started with the LC. Mine is the last of the DOHC models.I'm thinking it's an alignment issue.  If I knew how it was all assembled I'd put some washers in to Male the whole assembly down.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, headlight adjustment on my '13 R12RT seems to be sorted, Daffy…  Got the nice kind folk at Motomart Lower Hutt to:- wind the dash headlight adjustment to fully up, and- the align the headlights back down to 'legal'.This will hopefully give enough headlight adjustment range with the dash control.There is a real weakness in the dash adjuster know, though.  Two types have either a metal insert for the end of the adjustment cable to wind against, or a Teflon-esque plastic one.  I got hold of a metal version from Motorworks in the UK after finding the plastic one had the thread stripped by some over-enthusiastic over-tightening by the previous owner(s).

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you guys have a high load toggle like the GSA, just be aware that for me at least, long term use of it breaks it… then your headlight points to the sky and you'll never pass WOF… until your dealer gives you a new one under warranty  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or the simple lever adjustment to flick between 'no load' or 'loaded' of the previous R12RTs, Gremlin! Pesky Bavarian designers probably thought "Ah, zis ve run through ze Komplikator4000 backvards tvice - it iz vay too simple!'

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that gimbal thing started with the LC. Mine is the last of the DOHC models.I'm thinking it's an alignment issue.  If I knew how it was all assembled I'd put some washers in to Male the whole assembly down.Nope, my DOHC has the gimbal, and the model before it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.