Home Forums General Discussion Great Motorcycle Books

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My favourite has always been Zen and the art ……. but hey, don't forget 'Great Escapes' – a guide to motorcycle touring in NZ and the NZ Motorcycle Atlas…..no tour of NZ is complete without one of these books – but then again I might be a tab biased!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

My favourite has always been Zen and the art ....... but hey, don't forget 'Great Escapes' - a guide to motorcycle touring in NZ and the NZ Motorcycle Atlas.....no tour of NZ is complete without one of these books - but then again I might be a tab biased!

Thanks for reminding me, my copy is getting a bit tatty. It was nice meeting you at the Rally.Alex

David Yeo
    Participant

Just got a tip from a friend.The Adventure Motorcycling HandbookAM5cover.jpgavailable at Dymocks, my next buy.

I am currently reading this book. I got it from the library good to have. It is my birthday in July " Hint, Hint" 😀 can someone tell my wife To buy it for me 🙄 Cheers Hentie Only joking.

Andrew Robbie
    Participant

The Adventure Motorcyclist Hand Book goes without saying, it's a bible for anyone heading off for adventure but one of the best reads I have come across in recent years is 'MONDO ENDURO' by Austin Vince, this is a real gem and the adventure it recounts was the inspiration for an adventure of my own through Russia. It's about a group of friends who took on the the world on DR350's, heading into some of the worlds most dangerous and stunning places, South America, Africa, Russia etc. You will find yourself feeling as though you are with the boys as they encounter many difficulties and delights. Austin and the boys failed to get across a tiny part of Eastern Russia because of the lack of a road and horendous conditions, it meant a small train ride for the bikes and boys but several years later they mounted the DR350's again and repeated the adventure this time completing the ride fully and adding Japan to the list of countries. Both these journeys are available of DVD, Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa. It's also interesting to note that this was the also the Inspiration behind Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round with him and Charlie 'This is all too tough' Boorman following in almost the same tyre tracks although the Eastern Russian part had now got a track through it. Take time to track this Book and DVD's down, they are fantastic reading and viewing.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

This one has been recommended by the author himself. It looks to be a good book, if you are interested in riding Southern Africa.http://www.flatroadsandtwisties.com/page2.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,I bought the BMW files from a guy off Trademe (not the guy currently selling for $42.00) and it is a good book from an American Motorcyclist magazine and is road tests of the : R90S, Krauser MKM1000, K100RT, K75S, K1, R100GS Paris Dakar, R1100R, R65, R80 +++ Good book and brought some memories back to me about my much loved R65 and my dreams of owning an R100S and K75S and I once rode the K1 at the launch BMWOR rally up above Nelson and the write up seemed to be what I remember of having ridden it!Cheers,Mike 

pdmeikle57
    Participant
    John Jensen
    Participant

Couple of recent releases that make good reading are: Lois Pryce – Red Tape and White Knuckles;  and Mike Carter – Uneasy Rider: Travels Through a Mid Life Crisis. Have a look at the reviews on Amazon for details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mike Carter's book is a very good read: he was a writer for the Guardian, and Ted Simons was a writer for the Sunday Times. A recent one is Simon Gandolfi's Old Man on a Bike:  Septuagenerian Odyssey. (That means he is a 70s something!). He rode through central and South America to Patagonia on a Honda 125 ( the pizza delivery bike). He is also a writer which tends to make the prose a tad more readable, than bikes who write rather than the other way round. A seriously bad read is Investment Biker:  a middle aged American investment banker on his BMW with his very young wife/ girlfriend. Avoid! Another good one is What a Ride Mate, by the Mad Butcher… unfortunately not about bikes though! Cheers Loins

Nico Linde
    Participant

Hi There, I have found Amozon Had a few andThe Kneeslider site has a good range, I have found approx 25 good books on advent rides then there are lot of trips around various states in usa

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another wee book worth a read is Ted Bishop's 'Riding with Rilke, Reflections on Motorcycles and Books'. He rode from Edmonton, Alberta to Austin Tx on a Ducatti, through the West. Knows how to write this lad! And on being caught in a downpour wrote: 'Its bad enough suiting up over dry clothes in a restroom; its something else at the side of the road when your boots and jacket are wet and your jeans soaked. "Park under an overpass,' the instructor had said but there was no overpass here. I stopped at the top of a rise, as far into the park lane as I could. I tugged on the nylon pants, then struggled with the jacket that was flapping like an unfurled sail. I didn't want to take off my helmet because the rain was coming hard now and I couldn't turn enough to find armholes. Finally I got them and turned to the rubber boots. They looked like big black condoms and snagged on the toe and on the heel. I hopped around hunched over like Kokopelli - the ancient Indian flute player who was in all the souvenir stores - doing the Dance of the Rain Booties and trying not to stagger into the traffic. I had been cold but now I was in a lather, stewing inside my unbreathable nylon...'A few memories there!Do you know him, Alex?CheersLoins

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Funny you should mention that :-). Yesterday I wore my rain-suit over my overall, which has a Goretex liner on my way to work. It was windy and raining hard. I was feeling kind of smug, knowing that I couldn't get wet dressed like this. On top of the harbor bridge I got that damp feeling on my seat. I tried to tell myself that it was just the water feeling cold. Unfortunately, I ended up with wet nappies. Maybe I had been a bit sloppy putting the over-suit on. I sure hope so, because that BMW rain-suit hasn't had all that much use to be leaking already.The Kokopelli dance happens every time I put the suit on or take it off.

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Just finished “Lois on the Loose” good entertaining book and easy read and the author has since married Vince of Mondo enduro fame.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you enjoyed Lois on the Loose then try Red Tape and White Knuckles.  This book covers her trip through Africa.  An enjoyable read.Two wheels through terror was a good read (Glen Hegstead) but Emillio Scotto's book has to be read to be belived, 10 years on the road and a real page turner to boot.  Some of the narrartive will leave you wondering about Emillio's  sanity, stupidity or how big his balls rarely are.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you enjoyed Lois on the Loose then try Red Tape and White Knuckles.  This book covers her trip through Africa.  An enjoyable read.Hi,I just finished Lois on the Loose - good book. Have you seen her web site?http://www.loisontheloose.com/Cheers,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.