Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Gear Change / Twisted burning wreckage problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just can’t get the gear change on my 1150gs right/smooth, going up is just about OK but coming down there’s a whiplash inducing, rear wheel slipping, almighty clunk & deceleration- every time.

and then there's the engine braking...

I've been riding and managing to stay upright for years, but at this current rate I'm going to be severely embarrased as I try to get my bike upright to an audience of Auckland's finest, bless them, I can imagine them now, all rushing to my aid.

I must be missing a trick somewhere, any hints?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Alex,
    sounds to me like you've been shifting down with the rev's to high and then letting the clutch out too fast. A locking rear wheel at the wrong moment can get you into trouble.

The best way to shift smoothly is to slightly preload the shifter and then pull in the clutch. You'll find that the clutch doesn't have to be pulled in all the way for the gear to engage.

You should come to the next club ride, it's fun and you can compare notes with the other guys.

nzjb65
    Participant

Thanks – will give it a go today. Let me know when you’re next going out as I’d be interested in joining.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I’ll be going for a little ride this afternoon maybe from 1-3pm, let me know if you want to come.

nzjb65
    Participant

Nipped out as soon as I posted the last one – Pre-loading worked a treat thanks, I’ve just got to remember to do it.

let me know next time you're going for a ride, (I'm confined to car this coming weekend).

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Hi Alex.

I recently imported a 2000 rt-P. I found the same issues and also found that preloading the gears makes a huge difference. On my bike it was up shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

I also replaced the gearbox oil with a fully syn 75/140 (TORCO brand bought from Segedins auto spares in Auckland) and that has made gear shifting noticebly smoother. You only need one 1 litre bottle which is $26.

Cheers
    Tracy

nzjb65
    Participant

Will certainly give it a try – I’ve got a few maintenance checks I want to do but am waiting on the availability of the new Haynes (Amazon have sold out).

pdmeikle57
    Participant

I’ve got the original BMW factory manual on CD.

It covers R, RT, GS, RS 1100's

Cheers
    Tracy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.