Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk BMW Recall, or the importance of torque wrenches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It seems that serious problems can result if you don't use the correct torque when refitting the rear wheel on BMW K and R-series bikes."BMW is recalling 367,000 motorcycles because of a problem with their rear wheel carrier flanges. The recall affects K and R models produced from November 2003 to April 2011.According to BMW, the rear wheel brake disc bolts or wheel nuts may have received excessive torque during incorrectly-executed maintenance. Tightening the bolts too much could result in cracks to the wheel flange. BMW will replace the aluminum wheel flanges on affected motorcycles with a stronger steel component."There's no indication if or when the recall will be activated in New Zealand. But in the meantime perhaps it would be a good idea to check for cracks, and ensure the correct torque is used when changing tyres or brake pads.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I guess the problem may be related to the change in torque specs from the previous generation. I think they went from 105Nm to 64Nm. That's assuming places like Cycletreads could be bothered to use a torque wrench in the first place. My 1150 may be heavy as hell, but it's pretty solid, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've bought most of my tyres from 'Treads… hoping they got it right. Final drive just been rebuilt, so I'm also hoping they would have noticed anything amiss…

Anonymous
    Inactive

what model and how many kms for your rebuild? My R1150RT went 100K for rear rebuild. 150K for gearbox mainshaft bearings and now awful noise like worn cluster at 170K.

Anonymous
    Inactive

what model and how many kms for your rebuild? My R1150RT went 100K for rear rebuild. 150K for gearbox mainshaft bearings and now awful noise like worn cluster at 170K.

2010 R1200GSA, picked up play at the 100k service, so back in a couple of weeks later once parts were confirmed. Just for your info, a mates 2006 R1200GSA lasted until about 80k.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Whe don't have recalls in NZ to many back yard Mecanics, NZ has not even hade a recall for the fuel pump gasket yet were a lot of country's  have . Could cause a fire just as well the NZ Fire service don't charge to put out fires. Never used a torque wrench when putting a rear wheel on, just tighten by hand with small wrench and tighten by the every second bolt method and don't over tighten.No cracks yet but will inspect next time wheels are off

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone,I recently emailed Motomart in Lower Hutt re the recall, and got a reply back yesterday:There is a Technical Action in place for the Rear Wheel flange on a numberof BMW R and K series Motorcycles.We are currently working with the factory to get our parts supply underway,and also to compile a list of all vehicles that are involved.The technical action involves motorcycles fitted with an aluminium mountingflange on the rear wheel.There is a very small possibility that cracks in the wheel flange can occuras a consequence of overtightening of threaded fasteners.In the course of a long service life the cracks can develop and, underworst-case conditions, lead to fracture of the bolted join. In order to help ensure that your vehicle remains in perfect condition, thewheel flange will have to be replaced. This will be confirmed with your VIN We will be sending a letter to all customers advising of the situation. There has been only one instance of a major fracture, and with over 450,000vehicles on the road and the huge numbers of KM's travelled this is only avery small possibility of any issues for you, but we will be replacing theflanges for safety The is no immediate need for concern.Needless to say, this measure will be performed free of charge to you. We have parts and tooling on order, we will soon be in a position toidentify the machines involved and to contact customers in due course.

peter.trub
    Participant

On the last MMMMM ride (Kiwibiker thing) a gentleman turned up on a new to him 1200 GS. He was suitably impressed that even though his bike was imported from England and he was not the first NZ owner BMW had contacted him about a recall on his bike.Well done too BMW for putting its hand up, owning a problem and fixing it  🙂

Mark Mackay
    Participant

In NZ  BMW do not replace fuel gauge strips that fail all the time on some bikes R1200GS K1200GT etc. In the States they have extended warranty out to 12years parts and fitting. They don't want to be sued when a rider runs out of gas with a faulty fuel gauge and  Kenworth runs over Ya.Higher chance of being run over by the truck than Your rear wheel falling of with the faulty wheel flange. Have not herd about the fuel pump flange recall that some other country's  have had. Only know of 1 RT catching fire and 1 Adventure loosing all its fuel at a gas station causing a Fire Service call out.  Would not worry about the rear wheel flange, I have been waiting for Experiance to come back to Me when to do the GS for about 6 months. They probably wait till You take in for other work so they can charge Ya extra time,  No money in warranty work for the dealership.

peter.trub
    Participant

We have extensive safety legislation in this country to ensure we are not put at risk. If a manufacturer is knowingly placing lives at risk there are legislative means in place to resolve this.We have very thorough consumer rights legislation. One shining piece being all goods must be fit for purpose.I am quite pleased with my BMW Motorcycle and the service I have received from over the years from our Auckland, Tauranga and Hamilton service agents. I do however price and on occasion purchase parts from overseas. I also do as much of my own repairs as I feel capable of doing. Parts price wise I believe we are being wrought in this country by "ALL" vehicle importers and distributors. The poor retailer is unfortunately the low hanging fruit of the food chain, so they are easiest to criticize. Something we New Zealanders seem to be very good at doing. Generally the times allowed for warranty work do not allow for cleaning, inspection, paper work, putting tools away etc. It relates solely to the replacement of the faulty item. In a well equipped workshops with well trained staff the times are achievable.Having worked in a number of dealerships (admittedly cars and truck franchise's) I can assure you there is money in warranty work. Not as much as some people would like but the flow on effect of good customer relations is worth gold.

Anonymous
    Inactive

FYI, didn't receive any contact/letter etc. Just had the GSA in for a service today (110k) and asked Neil in Parts about the flange. He said the computer would alert if it was affected.On collection, sure enough, the computer had alerted them because I did have the aluminium flange and apparently it pretty much came off in their hands and they were surprised I hadn't felt anything... a lot of play.New flange fitted...

Anonymous

FYI, didn't receive any contact/letter etc. Just had the GSA in for a service today (110k) and asked Neil in Parts about the flange. He said the computer would alert if it was affected.On collection, sure enough, the computer had alerted them because I did have the aluminium flange and apparently it pretty much came off in their hands and they were surprised I hadn't felt anything... a lot of play.New flange fitted...

So if you do your own servicing, or don't use a BMW dealership for service, would you be advised of the recall? (No, I'm not being a Suzuki rider shit-stirring: I always wonder how hard brands try to contact all users possibly affected by a safety recall.) As editor-thingee I subscribe to a few bike news sites, and quite often become aware of overseas recalls which I've seen no mention of in NZ. I generally flick the links at anybody I know who has a likely candidate machine so they can check for themselves. Web-thingee Arne seems to cover the BMW side for you guys pretty well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Puzzles me as well Bwucie. I've never received a letter for recall on any bike, but I've also only owned one from new, rest 2nd hand.I asked myself, how would BMW know to contact me? Has any dealer said hey, this dude owns this bike now?What really amused me, the mechs replace the flange because the machine says so...  ;D

Mark Mackay
    Participant

I got 2 letters about this recall on 2 bikes. One purchased brand new the other ex BMW press bike. Still waiting for dealer to do the job. The importers get owner lists from the NZTA  and send the letters out from there .The  nice Chap (JohnG) that used to sign the letters  has left so they might be getting behind now. Don't worry the wheel will not fall off providing You do not over tighten it with the rattle gun.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Talking of recalls, I see that BMW are recalling their Sport Helmet. That would be a tricky one if they had to contact everyone who had purchased one. There's also no indication whether this applies outside of Europe, since they claim there is no safety risk.

BMW Motorrad recalls “BMW Sport Helmet”.

There is no safety risk."BMW Motorrad is recalling the motorcycle helmet model "BMW Sport Helmet". Owners are asked to hand their helmet in at an authorised BMW Motorrad dealership. Regardless of the age of the helmet, the relevant model can be exchanged for another BMW Motorrad helmet or another BMW Motorrad product of equal value.The helmets in question can be identified by the eight-digit number to be found on the label on the chin strap. Only helmets with the ID 059241/P are affected. There is no safety risk to users of the helmet. The helmet models "BMW Helmet Sport" do not fully meet the approval test requirements according to the European standard UNECE R 22.05. BMW Motorrad has therefore decided to take these helmets off the market.No other BMW Motorrad helmets (e.g. "System helmet", "Race" and "Enduro") are affected by this campaign."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.