Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Altering valve timing R1100-R1200

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have very recently had installed a set of Rocket Sprockets into our R1200ST. These advance the timing of the valves and effectively allow you to access the torque curve 800-1000 rpm lower. I've only been on one ride since with a pillion and the difference is noticeable with instant pickup, even in higher gears. I obtained my sprockets second hand through the For Sale section of this website, but new are manufactured and supplied by Boxer Performance in Melbourne http://boxer-performance.com/rocket-sprockets/. The sprockets are available for R1100-R1200's excluding twin cam models. These to me have been the second best addition to the bike since the Ohlins, and are not expensive. With 130,000 k's on the ST it now accelerates as I thought a 1200cc bike should.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Just to be pedantic, these sprockets actually retard the cam timing to achieve their mid range performance gains. The gain is very “real world” and just where it's needed, where most of us ride, mid range!

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

Just to be pedantic, these sprockets actually retard the cam timing to achieve their mid range performance gains. The gain is very "real world" and just where it's needed, where most of us ride, mid range!

ARE YOU SURE    :- :- :-boGSer

Anonymous
    Inactive

HiIf you are questioning the "real world response" then the answer is a definite YES. I ride the ST two-up 99.9% of the time. When the sprockets were put in I rode it home solo, and wasn't sure. The next and subsequent rides are a definite improvement with more instant urge in roll on in 4th and higher. The petrol usage also seems to have gone down, as was expected from the ability to pull a higher gear. The fuel gauge would usually show some signs of movement about 100-110 k's into a ride, it is now regularly 120-130 k's. We head to the Sth Island this Saturday for two weeks fully loaded with panniers and Motard bag on the rack. This should be the "final" test...If you were wondering whether the sprockets advance or retard the cam timing, it is all on the Boxer Performance website.R12ST

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.