Home Forums General Discussion Abandoned weatherboard buildings -Post them here-

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I feel nostalgic when I see these buildings. Most of them are from rural NZ, where my family was born and grew up. Rural Southland, actually. Generations of our citizens have been born and raised while these houses have been built, lived in, abandoned and left to rot.Think about what has happened in the world since some of these were built. The first war, some even stood during the Crimean War. Then realize the history that has come and gone while these houses have stood, watching each sunrise and living with each sunset. Sons have come and gone, daughters have had their first kiss.What gives a building life is the history that lives around them, and as these houses, buildings etc pass into onscurity we lose that history they have seen.Just my thoughts.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I feel nostalgic when I see these buildings. Most of them are from rural NZ, where my family was born and grew up. Rural Southland, actually. Generations of our citizens have been born and raised while these houses have been built, lived in, abandoned and left to rot.Think about what has happened in the world since some of these were built. The first war, some even stood during the Crimean War. Then realize the history that has come and gone while these houses have stood, watching each sunrise and living with each sunset. Sons have come and gone, daughters have had their first kiss.What gives a building life is the history that lives around them, and as these houses, buildings etc pass into onscurity we lose that history they have seen.Just my thoughts.

Yep, we can take photographs, but we don't know their stories. I am sure it would make a neat book and would be interesting for someone to do a bit of research. I love how some of these houses have manged to survive with their dignity intact, while others just seem to deteriorate. I guess the early villas have an advantage. Modern houses will never be able to develop such a patina.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Maybe it's time for a couple more, then. These were taken a few weeks ago, but I forgot to upload them.First one is on Te Kawa Rd.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

This one on Arapuni Rd.

Robin
    Participant

er, are they in the South Island?

Arne Rohde
    Participant

er, are they in the South Island?

Not if you meant the two I just posted. Arapuni Rd runs between Putaruru and Kihikihi. Te Kawa Rd runs between SH31, north of Otorohanga, and SH3, north-east of Otorohanga.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Here's one on Tapapa West Rd, once a part of SH5.

janejohnstewart
    Participant

Obviously some folks round here know all about ADV, 'cos I recognise the forum handles, but for the benefit of the rest of you …I'm not sure, you realise, but there is a thread on the US based Adventure rider site dedicated to NZ pics.  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317729The majority of the shots are tending towards the picture post card views of the country side, and I think it might be a nice idea if some of these weatherboard pics, or even the postbox pics started appearing over there.Obviously I haven't posted any of these pics ... YET, so I'm not going to start hot-linking to them.So, if nobody objects, I might post a link to this thread over there to see what sort of reaction this alternative view of NZ provokes ...  8)CheersJohn

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Manaia Rd, near Masterton

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some great photos, some would look great printed on canvas, maybe in black and white. Actually some of the houses look better than mine.

Anonymous

Not true: you started out with a barn and made a house. The evolutionary progress of most of these houses is the opposite.There's a helluva lot up here that I don't think are included in the thread, but they tend to have people living in them up here (Northland). Seems a bit unfair to post them on the web when they're living on Struggle Street.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heh, hadn't seen this thread until it was bumped. No pics handy, but I'll post one tonight. Mostly, I simply ride past them, seen heaps, but don't stop.I do wonder, if houses could talk... the history they've seen. We live in Alfred Bucklands bach, first house on Bucklands Beach peninsula, actually been in a couple of local history books, and built around 1860, but not protected. Local society has contacted us a couple of times, but no thanks, don't want the restrictions, plus it's been modified so many times over the years, moved, concrete first floor built underneath and we've renovated the entire house. Original part still has Kauri and Rimu boards, we sanded these after that dark crap they coated them in. When Rimu has filled in gaps in the Kauri you know it's old  ;D Behind the gib is the original sacking on the walls as well...Neighbours house has been moved from Remuera I think, built 1855 as a coach house.Now I'll remember to stop when I see a building in my travels.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

When I started this thread I had visions of turning the photos into a book. Unfortunately, most of the ones I took have a very low resolution. However, now that a humble phone has some real pixel power it would be worth revisiting some of those buildings. The other mistake I made was not to record the location. Most of these places will be lost for ever in a few years, so it would be a worthwhile activity to photograph them. It would also be neat to have a little bit of a story to go with each one. This could be a great hobby for a retired motorcyclist. Since I've had a change of scenery, I will have to start reviving this thread. There is a great bunch of buildings on Tuamarina Rd that I want to photograph, but they are just a little bit too far away from the road.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recall seeing this thread a couple of years back and since then each time I see an old building I think about getting a pic of it. If this thread comes back to life I certainly will start collecting some for it.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

It's ALIVE!!!!From yesterday, somewhere along the Wairay north bank and adjacent valleys.DSC_0943_zpsfe7bf46e.jpgAlways look after your roof, or it will eventually leak...DSC_0944_zps645e6a66.jpgThis one is really niceDSC_0946_zps3b3980f0.jpgDSC_0947_zpsd849404e.jpgDSC_0945_zps4d6ceed0.jpgthat's all for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.