Home Forums General Discussion A significant kmstone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Computer nerds will probably understand why this is a significant reading, being quite a few F'ing kilometres. 4 in fact.  ;D It's taken about 8.5 years to reach that point, although the last few years have not been very active, with the 60,000 km service being done 2.5 years ago.On a completely unrelated note, the current set of Michelin Anakee 2 tyres now have over 13,000 km on them. The most I've done with any set of tyres. But they are very close to the WoF limit now, and need to be replaced before long. And the final drive chain and sprockets have about 62,000 km on them, with no significant wear yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats! I did manage 16k on a set of Anakee 3 which nothing has got close to… Dunno how you get that from chain and sprockets, the CB919 goes through them in about 30-40k with an oiler… Clutch cables in 60-70k ishGSA has 120k on the clock in just under 6 years, final drive replaced a short while ago and drive shaft being replaced now... She's getting expensive  :'(

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Thanks, Gremlin.The chain and sprocket life can probably be explained partly by the extra power of the CB919, partly by the extra town riding you do with starts and stops, and partly by the oiler that is installed on mine. A pro-oiler which delivers oil only when moving, and on both sides of the rear sprocket.The next tyres will probably be a set of Anakee 3, although the local dealer prefers that I install Metzeler or Continental.Final drive problems are unfortunately not unheard of on the R1200GS, but you seem to have been more unlucky than most. Good luck getting the worn one rebuilt.

Jim Young
    Participant

Thats a lot more tan I've done over the past few years Arne

Arne Rohde
    Participant

How's the shoulder, Jim? Still giving you problems on the longer rides? I'll have to meet up with one of the southbound BMWOR rides again sometime.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Arnie don't get Anakee3's I only got 24K rear and 26K front on a set on the 1200GS and that includes a SI trip 2up in summer. They get a little squared of after about 20ks. When Ya find a better  tyre for a GS let Me Know.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

I'll let you know, Richard, if you let me know where you get the Anakee3s retreaded.  😉Nowadays I try to avoid riding in the rain, but previously my main criteria for choice of tyre was wet grip, dry grip, and gravel grip. Nowadays longevity is more important, but without ignoring the others, so I'll give Anakee 3 a go next time.

Mark
    Participant

Gee Richard u must be riding ya bike on a treadmill with a screen in front of u to get mileage like that .

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Yep they seemed to last forever got a Anakee3 on the back now that came of the 800gs seems to be lasting but no record. No gravel work seems to make them last a little longer. Good wet weather grip as well. Maybe I am getting a bit slowin Me old age.

Mark
    Participant

HI richard yep they do last longer when taking it easier and also short trips, perhaps I need to slow down a bit or u speed up .When I ride my bike I never think of how I can get more kms out of the tyre or fuel etc, apart from more time to ride .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.